Graduate Occupational Hygienist - BAM Nuttall - South West
Graduate Occupational Hygienist - Hinkley, West Somerset.
We are currently seeking to recruit a Graduate Occupational Hygienist to join our major civil engineering project at Hinkley Point C in West Somerset.
The successful candidate will be put through a staged development programme leading to formal WMS/BOHS qualifications, and should be willing to work towards the Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene (CertOH) of the British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS). You will be mentored to achieve this professional qualification.
Your key activities will include:
• Accompanying a qualified Occupational Hygienist and Health and Safety advisors onsite to test and monitor a number of workplace health risks focusing on emissions to air, noise and vibration.
• Assess workplace health risks as required under UK legislation including, where appropriate, measurement of levels of exposure to harmful substances, noise, vibration etc.
• Undertake work place inspections / audits to ascertain compliance in all relevant legal requirements, identify potentially harmful activities and investigate cases of ill-health.
• Improve monitoring strategies where possible.
• Advise on aspects of Occupational Hygiene and compliance with relevant statute, including COSHH, Noise, Asbestos and Vibration Regulations, Legionella and Joint venture standards.
• Investigate and research suitable and cost-effective measures to prevent or reduce exposure levels as necessary, e.g. by process change, ventilation, respirators, protective equipment etc.
• Provide advice on occupational hygiene information, notably risk assessments made under UK legislation.
• Promote awareness and provide effective training for employees in all aspects of occupational hygiene.
• Other duties as required by the Health and Safety Manager.
Your qualifications and experience should include:
• A relevant technical undergraduate degree which could be Civil Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Chemistry / Health and Safety or Occupational Hygiene related.
• Knowledge and experience of the construction industry is preferable.
• An understanding of safe systems of work and wider Health and Safety legislation.
• An ability to write technical reports that are clear, concise, factual and easy to read.
• Have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Packages including Word and Excel.
• An ability to determine priorities and act on own initiative.
BAM Nuttall is focused on providing the highest professional standards in the civil engineering market, with emphasis on building strong, honest and long lasting relationships with satisfied customers. We have established an unrivalled reputation for delivering complex and challenging civil engineering projects that have played a significant role in shaping the infrastructure of modern Britain.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.