Assistant Quantity Surveyor - for Rail & Civil Engineering Contractor UK
Job Title: Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Reporting To: Senior QS/Commercial Manager
Main Purpose: To efficiently and effectively provide professional surveying support to the Project Manager and his management team, implementing commercial processes and systems on projects, from tender stage to final account.
Key Tasks: The following reflect the main tasks associated with your position and are not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive
- Provide commercial links between Site Agents, Project Managers and Senior Quantity Surveyors / Commercial Managers.
- To ensure commercial security and control of contracts under tender and throughout the project including execution and delivery.
- External liaison with suppliers and customers regarding project progress and contractual issues.
- Production of commercial reports at intervals to be advised.
- Risk analysis and control.
- Dispute resolution and arbitration.
- Awareness of the estimating process and budget control.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Regulations.
- To promote equality of opportunity throughout the Company.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as required.
- Dealing with a varied managerial role.
- Internal and external relationship building.
- Legal aspects of contracts.
- Autonomy within the role.
- Departmental relationships within the Company including Site Agents, Project and Contracts Managers, Commercial Managers and Divisional Managing Directors.
- Inter-departmental relationships within the company, including Finance, Estimating, Administration, Human Resources, Health and Safety and Quality.
- Customer contact regarding contractual issues.
- Contact with relevant bodies in dispute resolution and arbitration.
- Third level qualification in Engineering or Quantity Surveying
- Significant experience in a similar role within a Civil Engineering company
- Experience or qualification in contract law
- Good commercial awareness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self motivated for an autonomous role.
- Team worker.
- Tenacity – ability to stay focused on an issue until it is solved.
- Social, environmental and legal awareness.
- Problem solver and critical thinker.
- Ability to make informed judgements and convey these to the team.